Split Pea Soup Recipe
This split pea soup recipe is honestly one of the easiest foods you could ever make. You’ll be amazed at the delicious taste. This recipe contains bacon, but you can use ham instead or leaave it out for a vegetarian option. My children love this soup which makes me so happy because it is really nutritious. This pea soup recipe provides
in the form of bacon and
in the form of the veggies which are simply bursting with essential
vitamins and minerals.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 200g back bacon, trimmed of excess fat and chopped
- 30ml (2T) olive oil
- 3 celery sticks and leaves, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1½ c dried split peas
- 1 litre (4 c) chicken or vegetable stock (I use a combination of the two)
- 500ml (2c) water
- 250ml (1c) low fat milk
1. Put the onions and bacon in a pot with the olive oil and a little bit of water. Put the lid on and steam fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the carrots, celery, split peas and stock and bring to the boil.
3. Turn down the heat and simmer for 45 – 60 minutes or until the split peas are nice and soft.
4. Add the milk and blend the soup till it’s nice and smooth. You can add more milk if you prefer a thinner soup.
5. Serve with a few rye crackers or some warm and crusty whole wheat or rye bread.
- I use stock powders in this recipe simply because I find them extremely convenient and tasty. I don’t have time nor am I interested in making my own stock from scratch and am always more than happy with the results the stock powders give me.
- To cut down on the cooking time, try using boiling water - simply because you don’t have to wait as long for the water to come to the boil. It should only take a few moments.
- Please feel free to play around with the quantities in this recipe. You may like to add more milk and less water or stock
Care to Share?
If you come up with an amazing twist to this pea soup or have a delicious recipe you would like to share on this website, please click on this care to share?
link to submit your recipe. I am always so thrilled to receive new and exciting healthy recipes.
Please note that all your details will remain completely confidential. I will contact you personally in order to receive your permission to use your recipe on this website.
Thanks for your support!
Return from Split Pea Soup Recipe to Healthy Soup Recipes
Return from Split Pea Soup Recipe to Healthy Family Eating Home Page