Deliciously Easy Bran Muffin Recipes
These bran muffin recipes are my youngest sister, Natalie's creation. She also has a keen interest in healthy eating and went through a stage when she was younger of developing a few healthy muffin recipes.
These muffins make great breakfast muffins and make a fantastic any-time snack. You can pack them in lunch boxes or spread them with a bit of peanut butter or cheese for a protein topping. Eating
helps to keep us feeling fuller for longer.
This is one of those bran muffin recipes you can really play around with. You could, for example use a little less sugar – say ¾ cup. You could also add in some nuts and seeds (try green pumpkin seeds, ground flax seeds, sesame and sunflower seeds) to get your essential omega 3 and 6 fats. You could also use buttermilk instead of milk and get a wonderful result with that.
I would use canola oil rather than butter because butter is saturated fat whereas canola oil is an unsaturated fat which is much healthier.
I love muffin recipes that are really quick and easy to prepare and this is definitely one of them. I think these muffins are really great tasting and hope you do too.
Basic Bran Muffin Recipe (Egg-Free)
Makes 12 muffins
- 30ml (2T) canola oil or melted butter
- 250ml (1c) brown sugar
- 250ml (1c) raisins
- 250ml (1c) boiling water
- 375ml (1 1/2c) whole wheat flour
- 750ml (3c) digestive bran
- 5ml (1t) baking powder
- 5ml (1t) bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- pinch salt
- 2ml (1/2t) cinnamon
- 250ml (1c) low fat milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºc (350ºF).
2. Cream the oil (or butter) & sugar.
3. Put water & raisins in jug & set aside.
4. Sieve dry ingredients and add bran to oil (or butter) mixture.
5. Add water & raisins - if you are in a hurry, don't bother to soak the raisins. You can throw them in just like that.
6. Mix through and add milk.
7. May have to add more milk/water to make a good mixture.
8. Spoon the mixture into the muffin trays.
9. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until done.
Variations: You can try adding mashed banana, grated carrot, dates or nuts and seeds. The options are almost endless!
More Recipes for Bran Muffins
Here are some more tasty and really easy to make recipes:
Would You Like To Be Part Of
Why not become part of the Healthy Eating Website! All you do is tell your foodie story or share your favourite recipe here!
Your story becomes a whole page on this site and part of the healthy eating blog (which shows the site's most recent pages). So become a permanent part of Healthy-Family-Eating.com so others can read, learn and grow from your input! And I'll tweet your Web page at my Twitter account, too!
Come on... join in and have some fun!
Return from Bran Muffin Recipes to Healthy Muffin Recipes
Return to Healthy Family Eating Home Page